Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Mr. Nitzberg co-founded Devon in 1988 and, as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, is responsible for overseeing Devon’s overall operations. Mr. Nitzberg was responsible for formulating Devon’s original business plan, raising the venture capital to fund the company’s initial operations, assembling a staff of professionals and commencing Devon’s operations.
Prior to co-founding Devon, Mr. Nitzberg co-founded Equitec Financial Group in 1973. Mr. Nitzberg served as a Director from Equitec’s inception and as President from 1977 until his departure when the company was sold in 1987. He was instrumental in growing the company to an organization with $4.5 billion in assets under management, of which $2 billion was in real estate, for 250,000 individual investors and 100 institutional clients. In 1983, Equitec made its initial public stock offering and, in 1984, was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. In 1987, a controlling interest in Equitec was sold, and Mr. Nitzberg left shortly thereafter.
Mr. Nitzberg performed the following roles and holds these designations:
- Mr. Nitzberg was a Member of the Board of Directors of the Self Storage Association, the national not-for-profit trade organization representing the self storage industry, from 2002 to 2007 and served as Chairman in 2006.
- Mr. Nitzberg received his B.S. in Agricultural Business Management from the University of California at Davis in 1968.
- In 2015 Mr. Nitzberg was elected to the Self Storage Association Hall of Fame.
- In 2006 Mr. Nitzberg was the Founder of the Self Storage Insurance Associates, LTD, a Cayman Inland tenant reinsurance company and continues to serve as the Chairman & CEO.
- In 2016 Mr. Nitzberg was the Founder of Xercor Insurance Services, LLC, a US based tenant insurance agency and continues to serve as the Chairman & CEO.