Make packing easier and gather materials you’ll need ahead of time. This includes cardboard boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, sealing tape, markers, and furniture wrap or covers.
PACKING & STORAGE TIPS
Let our list of helpful tips keep your items safe and secure during the moving and storage process.
- — Keep the items you use most near the front of your unit for easier access.
- — Make a center aisle to allow easy access to your items.
- — Place boxes on pallets or skids rather than leaving them on concrete floors to maintain airflow.
- — Get the most out of your unit space, remove furniture legs and store tabletops sideways.
- — Prevent old photographs from curling by placing them between pieces of cardboard and taping them together.
- — Make sure no gasoline or oil is left in items with engines, such as lawnmowers or leaf blowers.
- — Check state laws to determine what items you’re allowed to store.
- — Store shovels, hoses, rakes, and other outdoor supplies in trash cans or other containers.
- — Cover mattresses and store flat.
- — For items with wooden surfaces, treat (before storing) and cover them.
- — Keep metal items from rusting by wiping surfaces with a rag coated in machine oil.
- — Make sure your unit has effective locks – we sell them as well, so be sure to ask your site manager for a recommendation.
- — Rent a climate controlled unit if you have items sensitive to extreme temperatures.
- — Store large pieces of furniture on their side to preserve space.