Devon Self Storage knows there’s nothing more important than peace of mind when it comes to storing your belongings. That’s why at Devon, we go out of our way to give you the very best in self storage. Let our list of helpful tips keep your items safe and secure during the moving and storage process.
- Plan ahead. Make packing easier and gather materials you’ll need ahead of time. This includes cardboard boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, sealing tape, markers, and furniture wrap or covers.
- Seal boxes tightly. Use quality packing tape to keep away dust and pests.
- Protect your furniture. Place covers on furniture legs, chairs, and mattresses to prevent scratching or other potential damage. Consider leaving slipcovers on chairs, wrapping legs with bubble wrap, and placing plastic bags on mattresses. For easy assembly, tape or tie bed rails together and mark the pieces you’ll need to put together later.
- Label boxes. Make identification easy by labeling boxes on all sides. This is especially important for fragile items, which should be marked and placed on top of less delicate boxes. To keep track of everything, create a list with pictures and descriptions that you can refer to if need be.
- Utilize space within drawers and appliances. Store items inside dressers, stoves, and refrigerators. Empty drawers and shelves are perfect places to hold towels, linens, and other smaller, more fragile items. They’re also ideal for holding packing paper and other storage supplies.
- Fill boxes completely. Pack as much as possible in similar-sized boxes, but be careful that you don’t overdo or underdo it. That’s because heavy boxes may tip when stacked and light boxes may collapse. Consider filling empty space in boxes with newspapers, bubble wrap, or other items for protection. Also, be sure to seal them with tape.
- Pack heavy items in small boxes. This should seem self-explanatory, as you don’t want to end up with big boxes that are too heavy to move. Place items like books and tools in smaller boxes for easy handling. The weight limit for any sized box is typically around 30 lbs.
- Clean and protect appliances. Make sure your appliances, as well as other large items, are cleaned and dried for proper preservation. Also, secure movable parts with paper, or wrap a paper pad around each item.
- Wrap dishes and glasses with paper. Pack dinner and glassware carefully using packing paper, wrapping each dish and glass separately. When you’re finished, be sure to layer boxes with packing paper on the top and bottom.
- Hang clothes and draperies in wardrobe boxes. Take advantage of wardrobe boxes, which are specifically designed to fit clothing items.
- Keep the items you use most near the front of your unit for easier access.
- Make a center aisle to allow easy access to your items.
- Place boxes on pallets or skids rather than leaving them on concrete floors to maintain airflow.
- Get the most out of your unit space, remove furniture legs and store tabletops sideways.
- Prevent old photographs from curling by placing them between pieces of cardboard and taping them together.
- Make sure no gasoline or oil is left in items with engines, such as lawnmowers or leaf blowers.
- Check state laws to determine what items (such as firearms, drugs, or perishables) you’re allowed to store.
- Store shovels, hoses, rakes, and other outdoor supplies in trash cans or other containers.
- Cover mattresses and store flat.
- For items with wooden surfaces, treat (before storing) and cover them.
- Keep metal items from rusting by wiping surfaces with a rag coated in machine oil.
- Make sure your unit has effective locks – we sell them as well, so be sure to ask your site manager for a recommendation.
- Rent a climate controlled unit if you have items sensitive to extreme temperatures.
- Store large pieces of furniture on their side to preserve space.
For more storage help, contact your nearest Devon facility to speak with our storage professionals.